Service Members Honor Fallen on Memorial Day, Djibouti
Service members gathered for a Memorial Day ceremony in Djibouti, May 31, 2010, honoring those who have died while serving Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa. Rear Admiral Brian Losey, CJTF-HOA commander, said that those who have died in the service of their country will not be forgotten and that the sacrifices of those left behind are not in vain. "From the sting of losing friends, to comforting their families, we know how important it is that they will not be forgotten," said the admiral.
"In the land of the free, we must always remember that we are the defenders of the home of the brave," said Navy Captain Scott Vasina, Strategic Communications director and master of ceremonies for the event.
During the ceremony, the names of the 21 service members who passed away while being attached to CJTF-HOA were read. They are (name and hometown):
- Captain Seth Michaud, Hudson, Mass.
- Petty Officer 1st Class Alec Mazur, Vernon, N.Y.
- Petty Officer 3rd Class Fabricio Moreno, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Petty Officer 3rd Class Emory J. Turpin, Dahlonega, Ga.
- 1st Lieutenant Brandon R. Dronet, Erath, La.
- Sergeant James F. Fordyce, Newton Square, Pa. - Senior Airman Alecia S. Good, Broadview Heights, Ohio
- Lance Corporal Samuel W. Large Jr., Broadview Heights, Ohio
- Sergeant Donnie Leo F. Levens, Long Beach, Miss.
- Corporal Matthieu Marcellus, Gainesville, Fla.
- Sergeant Jonathan E. McColley, Gettysburg, Penn.
- Staff Sergeant Luis M. Melendez Sanchez, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
- Lance Corporal Nicholas J. Sovie, Ogdensburg, N.Y.
- Captain Bryan D. Willard, Hummelstown, Pa.
- Sergeant Gregory D. Fejeran, Barrigada, Guam
- Sergeant Christopher J. C. Fernandez, Dededo, Guam
- Lance Corporal Dustin L. Canham, Lake Stevens, Wash.
- Lieutenant Colonel Joseph A. Moore, Boise, Idaho
- Chief Warrant Officer Milton E. Suggs, Lockport, La.
- Lance Cpl. Randy M. Heck, Steubenville, Ohio
- Sgt. Roberto E. Diaz Boria, San Juan, Puerto Rico